Wednesday 6 February 2013

100 in 100 challenge: Donnie Darko (2001)


Another cheerful one this week! Donnie Darko. A month in the life of a troubled teenager, dealing with predictions of the end of the world (28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 12 seconds…) given to him by a giant, sinister black rabbit who appears sporadically, seemingly out of no where.

In the past, horror films and I have not had a great relationship. I never watched any as a kid. When I finally did, I didn’t sleep properly for two months. I spent most of my nights convinced I was about to be possessed by an evil demon holding a grudge; or a member of my family (possessed by said demon), was about to walk in, stare at me expressionlessly for a couple of hours while I slept, and then kill me (I bet you can guess what film I’m talking about). Since then I’ve avoided any kind of film even vaguely associated with horror. I simply can’t stand a film with a supernatural being that appears unexpectedly with no other purpose but to needlessly frighten the audience- and by ‘the audience’ I really do mean, me.

Like I said, Donnie Darko is a film about a terrifying, seemingly supernatural black rabbit who appears sporadically, seemingly out of nowhere. Whoops.

But if I’m really going to see all the ‘must-see’ films I can in 100 weeks, the horror genre has to feature somewhere. I needed to confront my fears. To help, I enlisted my friend, who’s a horror film junkie, to assist in my scary movie rehabilitation.

So, horror movie team assembled, popcorn popping in the microwave, we sat down and watched it. And actually it wasn’t that bad. Scary in parts, yet not completely traumatic. Complex, yet not confusing.  Fantastical, yet so tantalisingly plausible.  

The first thing that struck me about Donnie Darko was how different it was to my initial expectations. I thought, going on what I had seen in the official trailer, that the film would focus on Donnie and his visions of the hellish rabbit-man (called Frank). But it is so much more than that. Sure, Frank was always lurking in the back of your mind, or, as my over-active imagination told me: (and is telling me, even as I write this) “he’s behind you”. But Frank is essentially a sub-plot in a cleverly crafted story. Other storylines in the film rival for our attention: who is Grandma Death? What is the Philosophy of Time Travel? Who is Gretchen? (and will Donnie ever get in her pants?) And most mysteriously of all, is Donnie acutally mad?     

So is that the secret to a good film? Blind sighting your audience with a good trailer? Maybe. But what I enjoyed most about this film was- for want of a better word- the unexpected twists. All the information you could possibly need to explain this film is presented to you with absolute transparency, but still you can’t predict what will happen. Frustratingly enough, because I really do think you should watch this film, I can’t really say anything more without giving it away.     

What I can say is that this film has a terribly ambiguous ending; which you will either find hopelessly incomplete or great food for thought. For those who are looking for more concrete answers, there’s a lot of websites out there that give you a plethora of different theories linking all the events of the film together (fair warning- a lot of them have a soundtrack of Frank saying “Wake up”, which scared the absolute bejesus out of me the first time I looked at them).      

Despite all this, I can’t really class Donnie Darko strictly as a horror film. Am I still jumping at loud noises? Yes. Am I having trouble sleeping? A little, but that’s just the memories of Paranormal Activity coming back to haunt me. I feel like Donnie Darko plays with your expectations of it to fall neatly into the horror genre, and uses that prejudice to surprise you with this altogether more satisfying story, that is scary, but not looking to frighten you for fear’s sake. This is a very, very good film.

In summary, I survived my rebirth into the world of scary films. Which is why next week, I’m going all out. It’s time to crack out Psycho.

41z6GKy+GLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
A horror film? Scary rabbit anyway...

NEXT WEEK- Psycho

No comments:

Post a Comment